Thursday, November 15, 2007

Cucalorus

I did not read about The Film Class before the screening so I actually thought that it was going to be a comedic short. Wow, guess not. I liked the film very much. I did not know anything, really, about the subject of racism against blacks in Israel. I am not sure if i find solace or discomfort in the knowledge that other countries also must struggle with racism of so grand a scale.

My only regret is that I did not have the time to see more films at the festival this year (I suspect that this is a common gripe). I went to the Prime Cut shorts to see Terry's film. It was nicely positioned between a documentary on Cocoa harvesting in South America and another chronicling an American born son taking the reins of the family business from his Middle Eastern father. It was a great piece on the clash of cultures and people seeking acceptance.

I had some issues with Control about the pacing, but the film itself was gorgeous. So much gradation in black and white. And the way the filmmakers handled the suicide scene was excellent. I gotta say I had a lotta fun just being at the festival. The party's were cool, aside from being a place to meet people in the industry from around the area. I did get quite a few business cards. All in all, i look forward to 14.

No comments: